Friday, October 21, 2011

One Face.

Winter is around the corner and this time I'm going to be prepared. I'm researching sun lamps and I will be taking Vitamin D. My winter parka is at the dry cleaners and I already own the small shovel that will soon reside in the trunk of my car. I have a nice supply of hand and feet warmers at my disposal (yes, the kind that skiers carry on a mountain) and I'm hoping that my spring wedding anticipation will be enough to drag me through the dark months ahead. Yesterday, I tended to one more daunting winter task ahead of time: my skincare.

After spending several winters in Florida and California, last year I forgot how brutal the cold weather can be on your face. You only get one, so why not take care of it? Since my skin is on the dry side I decided to be pro-active and change up my regimen.  Which leads me to my favorite things on this Friday afternoon...

1) I can be lazy when it comes to washing my face at night so I've always kept wipes in the top drawer of my nightstand. These are the best I have ever tried. They are gentle and do not sting my eyes, but manage to remove all makeup. My face actually feels clean after each use. No water is required and they have very little scent. Love.

{Philosophy, Purity Facial Cleansing Cloths, $20.}

2) You know when you just need a pick me up? My skin was feeling, and looking, very tired. On my way to purchase another bottle of my usual (my holy grail of products), Estee Lauder Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher, I ran into this little goodie that I've been dying to try. With long term use it's supposed to even your skintone, but in the short term it is already the perfect layering product for my makeup. Ahhhh, I feel illuminated. And my skin is too! So far it is just what the doctor ordered.

{Estee Lauder, Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator, $58.}

3) The foundation of the 80's and 90's scared the hell out of me. I saw many of my friends at school  running around with that dreaded orange line of demarcation along their jaw, and I always thought that the finish made women look waxy. I saw countless bottles explode all over the inside of my mother's makeup bag and I vowed never to wear it... It took 30 years to change my mind. Yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and decided to forgo my tinted moisturizer and beautiful Chanel compact in favor of, you guessed it, a foundation. No orange or wax finish here though! Just smooth skin with a slightly dewy, but not shiny, finish. It's actually sheer so you can decide how much or how little to put on depending on the type of coverage you are looking for. Trust me, this is amazing.

{Nars, Sheer Glow Foundation, $42.

My new vow is to avoid dry skin this winter. I'm still not ready for the cold weather but being prepared makes me feel better. New Englanders, do you have any additional winter-ready tips for me? 

Enjoy your weekend.

Treat everyday like you are on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment