Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ladies Who Lunch.

In a perfect world I would spend every lunch hour sitting at the patio table of a chic restaurant somewhere on Newbury Street soaking up the sun on a beautiful day and enjoying the people watching of some of the best dressed men and women in my state...

In reality, I am often eating lunch on the go when I can find a free minute between stores or production meetings. The food options at the mall and strip malls are not always satisfactory and since I prefer to eat small portions all day, bringing a lunch with me has made more sense. (It's good for my wallet too.) However, a She-ra lunch box or a brown paper bag was not going to cut it so my next challenge was to find the right lunch bag. Easier said than done.

Before shopping, I put together my list of Must Haves:

1) It has to be insulated.
Because refrigeration in my car is not an option.

2) Budget-friendly.
It's still a lunch box.

3) A shoulder strap. 
My hands are already full with my handbag and work tote!

4) Something I am not embarrassed to be seen carrying.
It should blend with my outfit on any given day. Patterns and bright colors are out. I DON'T DO CUTE.

I was surprised by how hard it was to find something that checked off all of these points. I can't be the only fashion conscious woman to carry a lunch to work on occasion yet I was appalled by the countless options covered in flowers and polka dots. Most of the black ones I found did not have a shoulder strap or were too expensive and the rest were oversized and too masculine for my taste.

The Runner-Up:

{Built NY, Inc. Spicy Relish Lunch Tote, $29.99}

Insulated, budget-friendly, and it has a shoulder strap. Not a bad option but I found the slouchy shape too casual. However, the fact that it is machine washable was certainly a selling point...

The Winner:

{LeSportsac Lunch Box, $38.}

Why it Works:
This bag meets all of my must-haves. The double zipper and wide opening will allow me to wipe out the interior. The go-with-anything black does not scream "look at me." There is a pocket on the outiside for utensils and a napkin and the slim silhouette fits easily into my work tote when I'm done with it.

Style Note:
I always bring a decorative napkin (my mother-in-law has me obsessed with them at home) for a personal and pretty touch.




How do you carry your lunch to work?

Treat every day like you are on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment