Thursday, June 30, 2011

Red, white, and blue.

For the long weekend I am headed to Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire with my fiance, my sister, and her husband. It will be the first getaway that I have taken since our move back from Los Angeles and I can't wait!


This holiday always makes me feel nostalgic. It has history, pride, romance, and all of the best things of summer rolled into one day, or in this case, weekend. After countless summers spent on Nantucket or at the Lake in NH for this holiday, I can say I've seen it all in the festive fashion department. I will even admit to once being a part of a family photo in which everyone was wearing paper vests with flags on them. (It was wrong, but in my defense, I was ten. We all make mistakes.) 


These days my fashion has evolved so much that my sister sent me an email this week of logistics for the trip and a friendly reminder that I was heading to a place where "people stare at you if you are wearing a sundress and a one inch heel... motorcycles and fanny packs abound." She is right, New Hampshire is not the most fashion forward of states. That said, I simply cannot alter my fashion beliefs. If I have to look at their fanny packs and Teva sandals, they will have to deal with my favorite wedges and coral lipgloss. Fashion is something that makes me happy. It is how I express myself to the world. But, you can bet I will not be wearing a paper vest to do it this weekend.


It is possible to be stylish, festive, and appropriately dressed for the barbecue, afternoon at the beach, cuddling during evening fireworks, and pinot grigio on the back patio this 4th of July. Here are some great ideas to get you started. Enjoy!















I feel very lucky to live in this country, and grateful that there are people willing to fight for our freedom everyday. My heart goes out to the families of all those in the military; thank you for your sacrifice.


Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment