Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Magic Slippers

In honour of Mother's Day, I am going to spend the rest of the week sharing mom-friendly fashion with you. Enjoy.


Like many mom's out there, I am always searching for a chic alternative to my favorite four inch heels. Ballet flats do not cut it due to the lack of support and padding between my foot and the ground. The oxfords of last fall were a bit too menswear for me. And I am not a sneakers kind of a woman. What this means is I am usually running around shopping or on the set of a photo shoot wearing my favorite flat boots (see post here). Until now...


{The trend on model Natalia Vodianova, Nicole Ritchie, Olivia Palermo, and Jessica Alba.}

I was pleasantly surprised by this new trend in footwear for spring 2011. In addition to offering support, they are versatile, effortlessly cool, and a true classic. These shoes require minimal effort from the college students that want to roll out of bed and go. Moms can still chase their kids and look great grocery shopping. And the rest of us can run errands in style and comfort. 


Presenting... The loafer.


After a lot of back and forth, I decided to try them and I am so glad that I did. Because they are a classic, I justified them as an investment piece and spent a little more. My new obsession:
{Prada, Perforated Driver $430}

I love the gold. They are neutral and feel glamourous enough for me to skip my beloved high heels. And because they are a driving loafer there is plenty of support. They can be dressed up or down and look great with almost all of my pants and jeans.


How to wear loafers with:
Skinny cargos? Roll them up a bit and grab your favorite T for a casual cool look on the weekend. A cute tote will finish the look.


Skinny jeans? Throw on a tank and a blazer for a more polished look. A top handle bag and a long necklace will add to the sophistication.


Boycut jeans? Be careful. You don't want to look sloppy. Roll your jeans and show some ankle. Make sure that your top is fitted and feminine enough to balance out your baggy bottom half. Try a fitted cardigan that shows off your waist and finish with a crossbody bag.


Khakis? Be careful. Loafers with khakis is a very old school, preppy look. The more fitted your khakis are, the more polished the look will be. Roll your pants up. A fitted nautical inspired striped tank and a swipe of bright pink lipstick (see post here) will keep the look classic but modern. Not into bright lipstick? Try a bright colored scarf.


Skirts? Choose a traditional leather loafer with a heel instead of a driving loafer. Loafers with tassels are extra credit. Make sure the rest of your outfit doesn't scream school uniform. Opt for structured edgier pieces or a floral skirt. Add socks that do not match your shoes for a more quirky look.


If you decide to try loafers, SKIP:
Bellbottom jeans. Try a cone shaped heel or a chunky wedge instead.


Bootcut jeans. The combination of the squared-off toe of the loafers with these jeans will make your legs look short. Choose a narrow rounded toe ballet flat or your favorite pair of stilettos.


Maxi skirts. A great pair of flat gladiator sandals make more sense with this flowing silhouette.


Other great loafer options:
{Tory Burch, Harrison Loafer $275}

These Tory Burch loafers in Equestrian Orange cover two trends at once. Bright accessories, especially orange ones, are huge for spring/summer 2011.
{Prada, Patent Leather Loafer $430}

I had a difficult decision between this pair and the gold ones that I chose. How glamourous are ruby red slippers?!


{Cole Haan Air Penny Driver $99}

This pair by Cole Haan is a budget-friendly alternative to my metallic choice.



{Seychelles, Bobby Flat $65}

Easy on your wallet and just the right heel to wear with skirts! Plus, I love the unique teal color.
{Frye, Reagan Campus Driver Flats $138}

Another great neutral and in line with the nude shoe trend of spring 2011. 



And finally, a gorgeous slick black version of the classic shoe.


How will you wear the loafer trend? Feel free to post your questions and comments.


Treat everyday like you are on the runway.


No comments:

Post a Comment