A fond memory of my childhood was the year I was allowed to stay up an hour later than my siblings because I was the oldest. I would look forward to that treasured hour of alone time with my mom, and on occasion, with my babysitter Kendra. It was magic hour! I felt so grown up. Kendra was gorgeous and a model herself. Thick black hair and flawless skin. Even on an evening of babysitting for 3 children under the age of 10, she was chic. I wish my memory of her weekly outfits was better, but I DO remember her purse.
It was always made of a soft black leather. I loved its weight and would run to get it for her anytime she needed it. During magic hour I would cross my fingers that she would pull out the two fashion magazines she was always carrying and let me look at one. It was my first introduction to a glossy publication. I would stare at the pages of ELLE and absorb them like a sponge. (I would have climbed in the magazine had it been possible!) I would ask to try her lipstick and pretend to use her compact. Even at nine, Chanel felt glamourous. Kendra's was the only purse I saw the contents of, other than my mothers, and the style within it excited me. I couldn't wait to grow up and have a place for all of my own pretty things. Is that not one of the perks of being a woman?
If eyes are the window to the soul, I think handbags are the window to a woman. Here is mine:
It's no wonder that one of my favorite handbags is this soft black leather Marc Jacobs Striped Hudson bag from 2006. I have my own Chanel compact now, and yes, I carry ELLE everywhere (albeit on my IPad).
I've added some of my own style necessities:
1. L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream- Handling hangers all day long can dry out my already dry hands. This is the perfect remedy.
2. France Luxe Hair Stick in Caramel Horn- I'm not a ponytail girl, but I always carry one of these in my hair color for the perfect quick messy updo.
3. YSL Lipgloss- Why do they always discontinue your favorite color?
4. Christian Louboutin high heel shoe key ring- A gift with a pair of Louboutins from my fiance. I love the long leather cord that I can wear on my wrist when my hand are full.
5. CVS Hand Sanitizing Wipes- The wipes are neater than a bottle that can leak. And I am a neat freak with my stuff.
6. Moleskine Volant X-small Ruled Notebook- Great place to jot down my grocery list, a phone number, or whatever inspires me during the day. I have more Moleskines than I care to admit.
7. Nars Lipstick- My absolute favorite. I always have red, a pastel pink, and a rosy nude that I layer depending on my mood that day. I choose bright on grey days.
8. Prada Wallet- A Christmas gift from my mom five years ago. It still looks brand new and I love the zipper! She is the best.
9. Michael Kors Jet Set Case for IPad- The patent is great because I can wipe it down with a damp cloth
10. Anya Hindmarch Makeup Case- More black with gold zippers, and cute labels "make-up" and "brushes" on the two pockets. All the space I need.
And don't forget the Retractable Sharpie (a must on stylist jobs), IPhone, Chanel compact (stylish enough when I need to powder my nose in public), IPad, business cards, Moisturizing Chapstik (I am addicted), and sunglasses of choice... Right now I'm digging these Caramel colored round 70's inspired Prada ones. As you may have guessed, black and gold always make me smile. They are so classic, elegant, and dramatic at the same time.
[Epi-pen and Benadryl- Unless you or one of your children have life threatening allergies, I will assume these are not in your handbag.]
(Click on the item name for link to buy!)
So there is your window to me. What about you? What do the contents of your handbag say about you and your personal style?
Treat everyday like you are on the runway.