Monday, August 6, 2012

Wedding Hair.

I made it. I was engaged for 513 days, I planned my dream wedding, and I lived to write about it. Happily, I can say that the day was everything I hoped for and more. Phew.

Returning to this blog after the wedding has required me to think less about my wedding. While I daydream about that unforgettable day quite frequently, I finally feel like I can write about something else. Almost. Many of you have written me for wedding details so I've decided to come back today with just that. Starting with my hair.

Wedding hair. Yet another detail to consider on your journey to the big day. The most important hair style of your life, since you will be looking at the photos for the next hundred years. Think of the money you will be spending on photos! Do you want all of that to go to waste when you hide your wedding album like an old middle school yearbook? No you don't. No pressure though.

When I started thinking about it, I wanted the hair style I chose for my big day to check off the following categories:

1) I wanted to look like me.
 It could not be a style that I would be trying for the first time. I had to feel comfortable in it.

2) The hair should fit my dress and accessories.
I wore a statement accessory and a dramatic dress so I knew that I wanted a simple hair style that wouldn't fight the rest of my look.

3) The hair should do the setting, and the occasion, justice.
Nothing too casual for the black tie evening affair.

My first thought was to wear my hair all down. It covered off on the first category- in my everyday I usually wear my hair down. However, since my normal 'undone' look often ends up in my face, I quickly crossed this off the list.

I thought about wearing it half up, but it made me look like a Disney princess in my dress. No thank you.

Then suddenly, my inspiration: the 2012 Golden Globes. (Interestingly enough, my wedding dress was inspired by the 2011 Golden Globes!) Charlize Theron, Emma Stone, Sarah Hyland, and Stacy Kiebler walked the red carpet in my must-have look.






The winning 'do? A low-side chignon.

Fresh, romantic, and slightly undone. More formal than hair all down, yet not as harsh and formal as hair all tightly up. Undone modern glam is my go-to everyday look of choice so this was a perfect fit.


Here is the final look at my hair (and makeup) trial.



Michelle DeVoe at Demiche did a beautiful job.

Finally, when it came time to decide on a hair style for my beautiful bridesmaids, I realized the low side chignon was a style I loved for everyone. Turns out we all part our hair on the same side, so everyone was happy with their final look. They looked stunning.

Treat everyday like you are on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment